Tuesday, July 1, 2008

First (and hopefully last) accident in July

This morning the girls and I took Brett to school and were planning to visit Holli's house before heading to Gymmies class around 11 a.m. Everything was going very well -- that is, until Kendall Nicole decided to run up towards Holli's house (in her new sandals that she isn't really used to wearing quite yet). I was about 50 feet behind her (she is a quick little turkey) and all I heard was a loud thump and her starting to scream bloody murder. As I ran up to Holli's house to see what had happened, all I saw was Kendall laying face down on the pavement. It ended up that she tripped on either uneven pavement (or maybe her own two feet) and fell head first into the step going into Holli's house. I rushed over to pick her up and see what the damage was and within about 15 seconds of hitting her head, the spot was swollen, purple, etc. I attempted to calm her down but it took quite awhile as I figure she realized that her mama was pretty much freaking out as it was. Poor Holli had to take Kendall for a bit so I could sit down as my body couldn't decide if I should vomit or passout -- or maybe even both (thank heavens after it was all said and done, I didn't do either). The thought of taking her to the A&E (emergency) in Peterborough kind of turned my stomach as I most likely wouldn't be able to find a parking spot and then we would be sitting there for hours, so I called our village surgery (doctor's office) to see what I should do. The lady answering the phone could probably hear that the American woman was freaking out so she made us an appointment within about 35 minutes of when I called (normally it takes a day or two -- or even more -- to get into see a doctor). The doctor took a look at her and said he didn't think she broke her nose but wanted to make sure that we kept a very good eye on her for at least 24 hours to ensure there weren't any internal injuries. After we left the surgery, we headed back to Holli's house and Kendall and Kameron played for the rest of the afternoon (no gymnastics class, of course). It is amazing how children jump back. Kendall complained that her head hurt after she first hit it but hasn't really complained since (I guess it could help that I'm keeping Tylenol in her system, but nonetheless quite impressive). Here's to hoping that is the one and only accident we have in the family for the rest of this month as I don't think I could take much more. Holli -- thanks for your help today, I really do appreciate it!!! ;o)

Both pics are right after the accident -- on our way to the surgery



About 6 hours after the accident (swollen area makes her look like a Klingon from StarTrek) ;o(

5 comments:

Holli said...

Poor sweet girl and mom.... she is a trooper and if this was my house I would have taken the step out at least before the 300th time falling over it! Heres to strong heads and no more falls!

Jeff, Tina, Ian, and Jade Saad said...

I need to get back there asap...I showed Ian the pictures and he think she looks "cool" like tough...those are his words...I hope she is feeling better soon.

Stacey said...

She is still beautiful! So relieved it wasn't more serious. Oh, the new sandals. Sometimes we must suffer for beauty. Miss you!

Anonymous said...

She is a brave girl. Hope she will recover soon.

My daughter had quite a serious fall on her head when she was 4 years old. She had 3 stitches and I cried louder than her during the operation :(

Cathren12 (mom) said...

Oh My Goodness - you must have been... wow, it just brings back memories of Brittney's arms... Sometimes I think we mother's take it harder than them (we at least worry about it longer than them). I am so glad that her nose isn't broken & for the most part sounds like she is back to normal. Hang in there!!!!!!!!!!