Thursday, June 18, 2009

Enough DRAMA for one week... ;o)

We ended last week with Mike leaving to head to Belgium for 7 days...

Drama #1 -- Kendall having a fit in the airport because her daddy was leaving. (We were all sad but Kendall topped the cake.)

Drama #2 -- The kids and I spent the night at my Mom and Mark's house on Saturday night and enjoyed a cookout and visiting with them. On Sunday afternoon/early evening. the kids and I headed back home to chill out there. Once we got home, Brett and I went out to see how the pool water looked (that is a WHOLE other drama we've been dealing with ... going on 5 weeks of working on the pool and it still isn't swimmable (without getting green hair, that is)). After looking at the bottom of the pool we realized we needed to vacuum the flock that was on the bottom...so we opened the skimmer to put the hose in and what do we find?!?!?! At first, I thought it was a bird...no maybe a mouse...irregardless, I don't handle rodents well and since Mike was gone, I knew I was the one that had to handle it. Brett did assist me as I put on my rubber gloves up to my elbows and brought out a gallon-size ziploc bag. First try didn't catch the stupid thing but finally after a bit of screaming and throwing a fit, the second try worked. The neighbors came over to make sure we were okay as they heard me saying a few choice words and screaming a bit...only to find out that the thing I was holding in the ziploc bag was a dead vole. Yuck!!!

Drama #3 -- Before school begins in August, I knew I had to get the kids their second dose of Hepatitis A shot so I scheduled an appointment at the Woodford County Health Department for Wednesday. We arrived only to find out that not only did the girls need their Hep. A shots but they also needed all of their Kindergarten shots, too. (Honestly, I thought I already had gotten their shots when we were back visiting in December -- my mind seems to be failing me a bit lately.) Brett did very well getting his shot (almost too well -- I again realized that he isn't my baby anymore). ;o( Kendall & Kameron, on the other hand, made up for Brett's calmness during their shots. Kendall screamed at the absolute top of her lungs during all three of the shots and Kameron cried uncontrollably and kept screaming "I DON'T WANT ANY MORE SHOTS!!!!" It was horrible as there wasn't anything I could do to take the pain away. Thankfully, my Dad, Aunt Colleen, and Aunt Alice were spending the day with us so they were they to help me in comforting the children after their ordeal. I need to make sure to schedule the appointments for shots when Mike is in town and can go with us -- so he can help deal with screaming, crying children. When will I learn?

Drama #4 -- I don't like thunderstorms and heavy winds -- at all. I woke up this morning at 4:30 a.m. (as did probably everyone in the Peoria-area) only to hear what sounded like our windows about ready to break and the house to blow down. My mom was staying the night so I went into her room to see if we should take the kids to the basement and she said she was just getting ready to come get me to say the same thing. We ended up dragging all three little ones out of their beds to take them to the movie room in the basement. They were still rather fussy from their shots but did okay once we got them to the basement and sat them in the recliners. Mom and I then went upstairs to look outside and saw that several of our patio chairs were blown over and one of them was about in the pool. We ran out there in the pouring rain to pick everything up and stack them all up by the house. After about 30 minutes, we were able to put the kids back in their bed and let them sleep for a few more hours.

I know our week could have been ALOT worse and I need to count our family's blessings every day ... but really, I've had just about as much drama as I can have in one week with Mike travelling. ;o) Thank heavens he arrives back home Friday night.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you need to deal with all the dramas while Mike is away. But, it also made me laugh as you put it in quite a funny way. Ha ha ha....
Hope everything will be fine in the future, especially when the MAN is not at home.
Miss you a lot.

xxoo

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you need to deal with all the dramas while Mike is away. But, it also made me laugh as you put it in quite a funny way. Ha ha ha....
Hope everything will be fine in the future, especially when the MAN is not at home.
Miss you a lot.

xxoo

Pam said...

Amy! you are so funny! Girlfriend, a mole is nothing! I have found walking crawdads on the pool floor (imagine stepping on something large that moves) we have had salamanders, baby bunnies and one year a dead cat was found in the pool. As the years go by, you will get used to the "new" goodies to be found in the skimmer! LOL But sad to say, you will never get used to having to pick them out! When home in May, we found 11 dead tree frogs and toads in the skimmer from one night!!!!!! That was a slippery, gooey, slimey mess. (I did call for Caleb to help with that one). Pam

Stacey said...

The animals in the pool is more than I could handle. Amy my suggestion to you is....hot pool guy!! Let the professionals come and get it going for you! Maybe he will look like Edward-LOL!! I hate shots too. After each time I swear to myself that I am going to make Kyle deal with it the next time but I never do. Belgium for 7 days??-that stinks! I thought CAT was cutting out a bunch of travel??? I just have to laugh at Kendall and Kameron's drama-that is how girls that age are. Eden's new thing is saying "everybody HATES me." Let's get together-we still haven't discussed EVERY Twilight book yet. We need to do dinner. Let me know when Mike gets back-you will need to get out for a night.

Lana said...

there is yet some undefined law of the universe that states that chaos will always ensue when your husband is traveling for work... I have vivid memories of tornado sirens, trips to the ER and all kinds of 'drama' from when Matt has been traveling. You seem to handle it a lot better than I have though!

Corrina Dea said...

Oh Amy...I feel for you sweetie. I've been lucky not to have Kevin travel while I've had the kiddos...(knock on wood) but those little things seem to multiply when you don't have your other half around to help you out.

I actually miss those thunderstorms...Miss you!

Cathren12 (mom) said...

You know, every time Kevin goes out of town I have a week like you describe so my empathy is with you. I think you have earned a girls day at the spa with chocolate, massages, and anything else you want. Also, I'm with Stacey - hot pool guy, maybe even add the word young in the front (young, hot pool guy) - just a suggestion :-)