Sideview of the Bron-Y-Graig
Throughout the weekend, we did "drive-bys" and saw several different castles -- Conwy Castle, Criccieth Castle, Harlech Castle, and Dolwyddelan Castle. The weather wasn't the best but it did seem to stop raining just about every time we wanted to get out of the van (except for when we visited Caernarfon Castle). ;o)
Beautiful rainbow we saw when driving through the hills of Wales
The main castle we visited was Caernarfon Castle in north Wales. The castle was built in 1283 for military purposes as well as to house royal families. The first English Prince of Wales was born in the castle in 1284. The castle became a bit more famous in 1969 when it was the setting where Prince Charles became the Prince of Wales.
Village pub near Caernarfon Castle
On Sunday, the main sight were saw was Pistyll Rhaeadr Waterfall. It was a beautiful waterfall in a great setting. We stopped into the cafe and were planning to get some ice cream before we started our long trek home; however once I walked in and saw Beethoven (absolutely HUGE dog) laying by the fireplace and smelled the horrendous smell of wet dog, I decided that we would just buy some canned soda and water and hit the road. ;o) It is definitely a good thing we did that as when we walked out of the cafe to take another look at the waterfall before leaving, we saw two black animals that I thought were cats and Mike thought were ferrets. Well, we were both wrong ... they were HUGE black rats that were running around. Ugh! It is a good thing I hadn't eaten anything in the cafe as I would have lost it on their patio. ;o) We had a great weekend getaway and are now looking very forward to our trip to Peoria for Christmas!
Kendall isn't very keen on dogs so she was in Mike's arms during this picture. ;o)






3 comments:
Beautiful pictures! I don't know how you guys find all of these places to visit! You have done better than any of us with the traveling. Great memories for the future! See you Tuesday at "tea".
Is that picture of the rainbow real???? You guys are travelling machines!! I don't know how you do it but what amazing experiences!! Happy Thanksgiving! Can't wait to see you!
one question- can I go on your next trip!??? (not to the states!:))
Post a Comment