Thursday, March 5, 2009

Settling back

Well, sorry it has taken me so long to update the blog...it has been quite crazy around here lately. I'll apologize now since this will probably be a long blog as I'm going to attempt to update with everything that has been happening to this point.

We left London Heathrow last Sunday, February 22, with 15 check-in bags and 5 carry-on bags -- we were quite the sight. ;o) I was lucky enough (or unlucky enough as Mike would put it) to get us seated in the bulkhead seats. I loved the extra legroom; however Mike hated that so many people wanted to walk in front of us to get from one side of the plane to the other. We arrived back in Peoria safe and sound Sunday night and were greeted by many of our family members. It was a very long day but we were so glad to see so many people at the airport waiting to see us. The kids were running on fumes by the time we arrived so after dinner we went straight to the hotel.

This was 15 out of our 20 bags...not a pretty sight dragging through the airport.


Getting ready to get on the long flight



Monday morning we all woke up VERY early (around 5:30 a.m.) to find Kendall and Brett feeling poorly (throwing up). It ended up that they had the flu so I stayed in the hotel with them while Kami and Mike shopped and took luggage to our house.

Our storage items were delivered on Tuesday and we were very glad to see some of our things. It was kind of like Christmas all over again as we haven't seen these items for over 2 years; however several items we realize that we don't necessarily need so are just waiting to get rid of them. We enjoyed spending the day together as a family on Tuesday; however by Tuesday night, Kami was feeling poorly (again, throwing up just like Brett and Kendall did on Monday).

On Wednesday, all 3 kids and I stayed at the hotel while Mike went to the house to sort more of the storage items out.

Thursday arrived with me feeling poorly (oh how much fun to have 4 out of 5 of us sick the first week we are back!).

Friday morning we checked out of the hotel and headed to the house as our air shipment arrived -- yahoo! I was able to get hooked to the computer again!!! ;o) Since the kids were all feeling better, my Mom kept them at her house throughout the weekend so Mike and I could work around the house. (Thanks, Mom!)

Mike started work on Monday morning and since I don't have a car yet, the kids and I took him to work. That lasted for just a few days as the kids weren't real keen on getting up at the crack of dawn. ;o)

Brett and I took a tour of his new school, Germantown Hills Elementary School on Wednesday afternoon and met his teacher and classmates. For the first time EVER, Brett got on the school bus Thursday morning in front of our house and headed to his first day at the school. Even though he is in 2nd grade, it was still quite emotional for me (go figure!). He has really enjoyed his first two days of school (I sure hope that continues for a very long time).

Eating breakfast right before school (no table but at least we have a few chairs to sit on)




Anxiously waiting for the school bus







The girls couldn't wait for Brett to arrive back home -- so they kept an eye out for the school bus.



We have had several deliveries made and are now just waiting for our sea shipment to arrive so we can actually finish decorating the house (and actually have furniture to sit on). ;o) We miss a few bits about England but are very glad to be back in the U.S.

Here are some additional photos from our last week in England (after my computer was taken away from me for the air shipment).

Lunch and playtime at Angie's house with Tom and Victoria


Watching the Bolt movie at the cinema with Jenny, Max, and Blake


The girls found one of the few hiding spots still left in the house amongst all of the boxes.


Last dinner with Holli and Jenny at The Falcon in Fotheringhay (where Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded).


Sticky toffee pudding -- my new favourite dessert. In the 2+ years we lived in England, I had never tried this ... so 2 weeks before we left, I tried it and found out that I absolutely love it!!!


Our last day at our house, Stonewell Cottage



Thought this was funny -- when it snows, everyone drags out their brolleys just like they would if it were raining. ;o)

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I am so happy you are back!! I can't wait to get together!!

Anonymous said...

Amy! So glad you are back and on the move again. Bummer about the flu, but now you are done for the year, right? P.S. Make sure everyone learns how to swim! I have some pretty scary stories after owning a pool for 12 years! Hopefully we can catch up this summer! Pam/UK

Anonymous said...

Glad that you've settling well, except the sickness. Nice pictures!!! Looking forward to more updates!!!

Holli said...

So glad you updated!!! love the pictures of the kids at the kitchen "table":)
Miss you guys and glad everything is going good! Love you! still feels like you guys will be back soon from your holiday in the states.....