Wednesday, February 27, 2008

WAKE UP -- do you feel that?!?!?!

I woke up this morning at 1 a.m. to a horrible loud rumbling noise (kind of sounded like the London Underground trains) and realized the whole house was shaking. I laid in bed for a second thinking I was dreaming, but ended up waking up Mike to ask if he felt it too. Having not felt an earthquake since I was in 8th grade, I wasn't really sure if that is what it was OR if the house we live in that was built in 1625 was going to blow up from a problem with the gas tank or something (tons of things were running through my sleepy head at 1 a.m.!). The shaking ended after about 10 or 11 seconds, so I attempted to go back to sleep. When I woke up this morning, I turned on BBC News to see if they were saying anything -- and thank heavens, I'm not crazy...they were talking about the earthquake that happened at 1 a.m. this morning and was felt almost all across England. Since we don't have any damage, it was quite a relief to know it was an earthquake so now I don't have to worry about if there is anything terribly wrong with our house. While we felt it in Peterborough, it looks like the worst hit area was in Lincolnshire (which is about 1 1/2 hours north of us). It was the first earthquake England has had since 1984 and it registered a 5.2 on the richter scale. There was even a man who lives in Lincolnshire that used to live in Los Angeles talking on the telly this morning confirming that this was the weirdest and worst earthquake he has ever been in. Needless to say, it was quite an odd way to be woken up and I'm hopeful that it doesn't happen again anytime soon...

2 comments:

Holli said...

We are looking at your blog right now!!! - we missed you today and you missed some yummy food! See you tomorrow!
Love the CREW!

Marti said...

Crazy feeling, wasn't it? Haven't seen you in a while. Hope to soon. I just found your blog from Holli's.